Skip to main content

The Essence I Suppose - Part 2

When shown the images of two real donkeys, who used to be our adopted children, my little two year old grandson immediately pointed to his book, to a picture of a donkey with a sombrero and guitar.  He then carried on with the animals he knows, the mythical unicorns and other creatures, each endowed with different human traits.  He quickly lost interest in the real donkeys.

Sunshine and Sundance (in the back) in their new family place, not far from where we live in Texas. Even after five years of separation, they still clearly recognize and follow us, and demand brushing and petting. These two inseparable donkeys are the smartest and nicest animals I have ever had the privilege of knowing. If something were to happen to one of them, the other would die quickly of sorrow.
 
"Our children already live in a world where there are thousands of times more toy animals than there are animal animals. Animals are no longer objects of firsthand knowledge and acquaintance.... They are objects of mythology. And the day is not far off when the fabulous quality of animals in fables - the hare, the wolf, the bear -- will extend beyond allegory and take on the dimension of make-believe, like dragons and griffins." A quote from Andrey Bitov, "The last Bear."

Let's fast forward 26 years in age and move to Saudi Arabia.  Here is a final essay from Hussain A., a student in my fall 2019 "Earth, Environment, Energy and Economics" (E4 ) class. I have reproduced this essay with a few minor edits:

"As an engineer, I would like to start with numbers. On September 23rd  (Saudi National Day), my parents visited me at KAUST and stayed with me and my little family for one week. During that week, I remember that my mother told that they opened the last NOVA water pack (40 small bottles) and that I would need to purchase more NOVA water packs. Today (December 9, 2019), I still have 18 water bottles in that same pack. I addition, On December 9, 2019, I received an email from KAUST regarding my energy consumption during October 2019 which was 48% lower than the benchmark for similar size house.

My introductory paragraph is a result of one of the most important things I learned in the E4 course which is the magic word, “LESS.” This course was a wake-up call from the screaming “Earth,” that it is “Finite.” Hubbert cycles was one of the very powerful concepts I learned which illustrated how limited non-renewables cannot last forever and would actually deplete much faster than what we wish. Someone might say: if fossil fuels are limited then that is fine; we can replace them with renewables such as solar and wind energy. I wish it was that simple.

In this course, I learned about the embodied energy and I realized that it would require around 40-80% of proven oil reserves to replace oil and coal energy by solar and wind energy. However, solar cells and wind turbines would last for 30 years at best, then what? Renewable energy is the delicious and the “reassuring LIE” that people would like to hear instead of the “inconvenient TRUTH.” While it is obvious (to a rational person) that fossil fuels are limited and finite, our consumption behaviors toward Earth and the environment made things that once considered “Infinite” to be “Finite” such as clean air. CO2 emissions and their impact was stressed in this course.

People (including myself four months ago) do not realize that increasing CO2 (as well as methane) is a really serious problem. As we learned, high CO2 emissions were major contributors to some of the Mass extinctions in “Earth” history! So, are we moving toward an Anthropocene mass extinction? Unfortunately, yes; unless we do something about it. As we saw in a Nature communications paper by Kulpl and Strauss (2019), global warming would result in a sea-level rise that would impact hundreds of millions of people.

Means to control and reduce CO2 emissions were discussed in a paper by Wynes and Nicholas (2017),  which highlighted that the current population growth trend is the main issue and that we need to have less children. While we claim that we are smart creatures, we are in fact behaving like bacteria. Bacteria would continue splitting and increasing their population until they deplete all their resources and die together. This is what we are heading to. Our population growth results in depleting all natural resources and eventually would lead to the death of millions of people due to the lack of food/clean air/good quality water.

The Financial Times, December 27, 2019.

After completing this course, I took certain actions toward my own “Green New Deal” which are as follows:
  • No more children: I already have two sons and I will advise them in the future not to have more than one child. 
  • 2-minute shower rule: The maximum time to have a shower is 2 minutes. My wife and I are already applying it now. This is not only to conserve water but also the energy required to produce, pump, and heat that water (i.e. the embodied energy). 
  • A/C temperature is set between 23 oC and 24 oC in the summer with more frequent cleaning for the filters (applicable in my house in the eastern province) 
  • No more plastic water bottles: I have my reusable water bottle. 
  • Minimize and eventually eliminate the usage of plastic bags. 
  • Whenever possible, use “LESS.”
To conclude, I would like to share my recommendations regarding this course which were actually part of my course evaluation. This class should be mandatory to all KAUST students and even KAUST staff (at least as on-line training). Yet, that would be only the beginning. To me, we should not wait until people enter college to teach them about the finite resources and about our impact on the environment. Some of the material of this class should be part of the elementary, intermediate and high school curriculum. Young children should be told the "TRUTH" and should have enough knowledge to make the right decisions toward protecting the environment and toward adjusting their consumption behavior. In addition, the education system should encourage students to have field trips away from cities in order to build a connection between them and the environment. Appreciating nature could be a key to love it and protect it."

References:
  • E4 Book and class notes.
  • Kulp, S. A.; Strauss, B. H. New Elevation Data Triple Estimates of Global Vulnerability to Sea-Level.
  • Rise and Coastal Flooding. Nature. Communication. 2019, 10 (1), 4844. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-019-12808-z.
  • Wynes, S., and Nicholas, K. (2017). The climate mitigation gap: Education and government recommendations miss the most effective individual actions. Environmental Research Letters, 12(7). 
  • KAUST email regarding my energy consumption.

Comments

  1. There are fundamentals flaws in the way the IPCC handled the data in the last report. Please see https://www.climatehealers.org/animal-agriculture-white-paper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shale Drillers Need A Miracle To Keep Production From Falling

    https://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/Shale-Drillers-Need-A-Miracle-To-Keep-Production-From-Falling.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will Trump Bail U.S. Shale Out?

    https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Will-Trump-Bail-US-Shale-Out.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would like to learn what you are thinking about my posts and encourage you to share

Popular posts from this blog

Ascent of the Angry and Stupid

Scientifically speaking,  stupid  people harm themselves while also harming others. In addition, stupid people are irrational and erratic, and are very dangerous to others. After discussing the destructive role of the stupid in any society whatsoever, I will focus on the delicate interplay of actions of intelligent and helpless people, who in balance make or break a functioning democracy.  Unless things change fast in the US, we can kiss our democracy goodbye for decades. If you want to see how a virulent ascent of the stupid looks up close, and what implications it has for our fight against social injustice and climate change, please watch the brilliant " Don't Look Up " movie. Unvaccinated people demonstrating in Los Angeles. There are tens of millions of the raving mad and/or angry, stupid people in the US and other developed countries. Source: New York Times , 12/25/2021. I overlapped at UC Berkeley with Professor Carlo M. Cipolla for a decade, until his death in t

Confessions of a Petroleum Engineer and Ecologist

I just attended an SPE workshop, "Oil and Gas Technology for a Net-Zero World – Defining Our Grand Challenges for the Next Decade."  Of the 60 people in the audience, I knew 1/3, some very well.  It makes sense, because I have been an SPE member for 40 years, and a Distinguished Member for 20 years.  Last year, I received an SPE EOR/IOR Pioneer Award for my work at Shell and UC Berkeley on the thermal enhanced oil recovery processes that involved foams, and their upscaling to field operations. This was nice, because Shell recognized me as one of their best reservoir engineers, and in 1985 I received an internal Shell Recognition Award for the same work. But I am not a mere oil & gas reservoir engineer.  First and foremost, I am a chemical engineer and physicist, who has thought rigorously about the sustainability of human civilization , ecology and thermodynamics of industrial agriculture and large biofuel systems, as well as about the overall gross and net primary produc

Net Ecosystem Productivity is Zero on Planet Earth

In the last bog , I told you how the law of mass conservation governs the large-scale behavior of Earth's households - ecosystems - that must recycle all mass on average and export only low quality heat into the cold universe.  Now, I will give you a few useful definitions of cyclic processes, sustainability, and ecosystem productivity. Let me start from stating the obvious:  We live in a spaceship we cannot leave, a gorgeous blue, white and green planet Earth that takes us for a spin around her star, the Sun, each year. But this statement is imprecise. We really live on a vanishingly thin skin of the Earth, her ecosphere .   Think of this skin as of a thin delicate membrane, teaming with life and beauty, but incredibly fragile. We trample on this membrane and poison it.  Then we act surprised when it brakes and shrivels. Practically all life on the Earth exists between two concentric spheres defined by the mean Earth surface at the radial distance from the Earth's